Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sleeping Angels...

There is something so sweet,
so peaceful about a sleeping child.
Watching a sleeping child,
can almost make you forget the craziness of the day.
Almost
These are Gracie's bedroom walls.
These pictures were taken a few hours earlier,
while my sleeping Angels-
were still awake.
Walls covered with make-up AND fingernail polish.
LOTS of fingernail polish.
They thought this was absolutely beautiful.
Gracie couldn't wait to show me how they had decorated her room.
They begged me to at least
leave the Justin and Gracie portrait on the wall,
"it's so beautiful!"
(bottom right hand corner picture.)
Justin in trying to explain his part in all of this,
"I came in and saw Gracie doing this.
It just looked like soooo much fun.
I wanted to try. I'm sorry mom."

Gracie, through tears,
" But when do I get my make-up back?"
Hmm... how about in 15 years?

Laugh or cry?
Laugh-quietly.
These "little" angels of mine,
won't be little for long.

9 comments:

Amber said...

Wow, they'll love you for this post when they are old enough to relate to the pain!!!! Way to keep perspective! It's true...but, I kept wanting to say "TELL ME IT'S NOT REALLY FINGERNAIL POLISH!" And, how many coats of paint will it take to cover it???! If only they didn't use RED.

With all the people in the world that aren't able to have children, or who don't have walls to get ruined; gratitude for these precious souls who make ruined walls possible is the only answer that fits.

But to remember in the moment...that's the challenge! Love the post.

My computer is telling me that you posted this 3 hours ago. By my watch it is now 5:00 a.m. Did you go to bed last night?

amber buhrley said...

I am laughing at your sisters comment because I was thinking all those same things. Especially about the time you posted! I also can't believe you didn't yell! Or at least you were smart enough to leave that part out!

Monica said...

Love it!!! I can laugh because I am the Aunt and Aunts can always think what there little Nieces and Nephews do is so cute and funny!
I don't know if you remember when I was teaching you how to sew pillows and Joslyn was taking a nap in my bedroom and she drew pictures on my stairs to my bed. I kept them on there for years just to enjoy the beautiful artwork! Great memories that you will always cherish!

Jolyn Buhrley said...

For some reason it's easier for me to keep perspective on the BIG things. Maybe the shock gives me a moment to take a breath? It's the everyday "little things" that are my work in progress.:)

Carol said...

I gotta tell you, my stomach did a little flip when I saw that it was in the carpet as well. Aughhhh! We've all been there though.

marilyn said...

You win the mother of the year award!! Most mothers don't realize until their kids are grown and away from home how those things don't really matter, they truly are angels and your attitude shows in your precious children they feel loved and that is sooooo important, great blog!!!!! love you

Meg said...

So glad that didn't happen when I was nannying!! Now I can think that it is cute, cause I not responisble for it! :)

marilyn said...

I couldn't help but think when I saw the paint on the carpet, you won't mind everytime I see the "iron burn spot" on my carpet I lovingly think of Lou, and his inncoent face feeling soooo bad, I have a very loving feeling cause I love Lou sooo much so now I understand why you can be so forgiving of your very very precious "sleeping Angels"

kristen said...

Oh my goodness!! You are a very sweet mom! I will remember this so the next time my kiddos do something that makes me want to scream, I'll think of you and your sweet reaction. They really are little angels, I love that they want to keep the self portrait. I can't blame them...it's very good:)