Thursday, September 3, 2009

Tradition!

First Day of School!
My kids know by now, not to fight the traditional
"going out the door photos".
In fact, I tell them no matter how old they are,
or what grade they're in....
I will be there with my camera on that day!
They laugh at the thought of me showing up
on their College doorstep.
I get a little sentimental about the first day of School.
Maybe it's my own childhood memories and excitement
of this day or the tradition of first day cookies
I knew would be there when I came home.
Something about this day
makes me want to freeze it for a moment.
I look at my kids a little longer,
trying to feel and appreciate the moment.
Feeling a little in awe
that another school year is starting -
Knowing my kids won't ever be this age again.
Knowing my kids-
are growing up.
and Feeling grateful to be their mom.
Mac
Sophmore

Mandi
7th grade

Mitch
4rth grade

Justin
Kindergarten

Gracie
Preschool

With my little ones going to school in the afternoon,
I had a little more time for photos!
They are always willing and ready to pose.

This is a big year for these two!
Spending each afternoon apart is going to be quite the change.
As Gracie did not have preschool on Justin's first day,
she was able to send him off.
The below pictures show her-
First, driving him to the bus stop-
and then saying their good-byes.




Cooking the first day of school cookies kept Gracie busy
while waiting for the bus to bring him back!
Mandi was the first to come home to warm cookies
and an anxiously waiting Gracie!
We were all excited to meet the boys at the bus stop.
Mitch and Justin looked so cute
coming off the bus together.
I am so glad Justin has his big brother to look after him!
Mitch found Justin sitting on
the wrong bus coming home!
Worried this would happen again, I heard Mitch assure Justin
he would "never, ever go home without him."
Justin is also glad, ( and proud) to have his big brother looking out for him.
Later that night as I was tucking my Kindergartner in,
I realized he went through a "right of passage" this day.
He no longer is talking of marrying his mom or sisters.
He has a new love.
"Mom, Mrs. Pace is so,so,so,so,so,so, just so,so,so, pretty.
When I get old I want to marry her."
Apparently Mrs. Pace made a VERY good first impression!
Yes, I think Justin will adjust just fine.

13 comments:

Monica said...

WOW you really captured the day with pictures! I was lucky enough to get one while my boys were driving away! You should be a photographer! So much fun to see the children growing up! You have more fun to come! Sure love you and such a fun post!

Amber said...

LOL! That is so cute about Justin thinking his teacher is sooo pretty. Adorable how they think they have to get the whole marriage thing worked out at that age. I say that is a compliment to you and Lou. Nice that your kids think marriage is something to look forward to!

Happy new braces, Mandy! Your kids really look grown up in these pictures. You are really good at capturing personality and action on camera. What's your secret?

marilyn said...

I agree you are a great photographer! you could make big bucks doing that for a living but of course you do have the cutest kids to take pictures of, the time does go so fast I remember Justing waiting for Jeremy to come home his first day. Mandi looks cute in her braces, I love love love the pictures they are sooooo adorable they all look like they should be models. There is something so special about that first day and all those first days really go by fast, and you are doing a great job of enjoying each moment, love all of you!!!!

Jeremy Whiting said...

Ah, first love. Too cute! I'm glad you don't blame Ms. Pace for letting him get on the wrong bus. Nice save Mitch!

Christina said...

I can't believe that they are all in school! I love the pictures!
Question: With your guys' collages, do you have a site you go to to make them, or do you create them on your own? I love them!

amber buhrley said...

ok-wait! First, when did mckay become a sophomore? when did Mandi get braces, when did Mitch become the ultimate big brother, when did Justin get so big and when did gracie become such a ham! Second, what are you doing with yourself now that you have so much free time! Are you loving it or what? Third, can someone please come and make me warm cookies!

Meg said...

Ok these are so precious!! Your kids whole life is documented in a magazine! The pics you take are so AWESOME! Almost as awesome as those kids of yours!
Oh I just wanna squish them! They are growing up too fast!! QUIT feeding them all those veggies would you!
See it has been so long since really TALKED I had NO CLUE my mandz got braces! TOO CUTE!

Love you!

wendy said...

I love those pictures and the "first day of school" cookies. I love those ideas...You are so fun! What lucky kids you have! Cute Cute Cute!

wendy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Buhrley Bunch said...

What cute, cute, CUTE pictures!! Cookies and all? I want to live at YOUR house :)

pepper said...

I love all your traditions. I think I am going to adopt the warm cookies after the first day of school. (Michael likes the idea too.)

marilyn said...

This is so adorable! LOVE Gracie driving Justin to the bus stop!!! We love ALL of the pictures!

One thing I am very disappointed...STORE BOUGHT COOKIES????? CHEATER!!!!! Atleast you cooked them at home! :)

I still love you sis! Your kids are getting WAY TOO old!

We love you~Jill

Mindy said...

Such cute kids!!!! I love the pictures and I bet you're dying that all your kids are in school now! Although I somehow get the feeling that doesn't suddenly mean you have lots of extra time... Why is that?!