Thursday, January 6, 2011

"You are...WHAT?"

I have always felt lucky
to have been blessed with kids
that can entertain themselves.
They are very creative while doing it,
I might add.
Justin had a particularly 'creative' day of play last week.
Mandi and I had just finished saying,
how cute Justin had been playing all afternoon,
when I entered the (just cleaned) kitchen,
to a smell.
a very strong smell.
A smell of cumin, sage, thyme?
And could it possibly be
MORE CUMIN?
What in the world???
My jaw drops.
My eyes and nose,
are in disbelief.
empty spice jars lay as evidence.
me: "Justin, WHAT are you doing?????"
Justin: "I'm a giant, and I'm cooking my dinner.
I'm cooking...army guys."
me: "seriously, an entire bottle of cumin?"
Justin: "Yes! And there is some more in the freezer."
The army men in the freezer were in bags of water...
to freeze?!?
Along with an army helicopter..
a large army helicopter.
Oh, don't get me started on all the unusual things
I've had in my freezer during the last 6 years !
Combine all the mischievous behavior
of all my other children.
Although, it may be a close race...
Justin would still win.
( You really can't include Gracie.
90% of her mischief...is with Justin.)
Ever since Justin started walking,
he has had an agenda.
Play,play,and more play.
When I think back
at all the crazy things this child has done,
in the name of play...
Oh, my!!!
Crazy thing is,
I haven't ever thought of him as trouble!
Never once.
Was I delusional?
No, I really don't think so.
I would take 10 of him.
(maybe just not all at once.)
Maybe it's because his mischief is always tied up
with some great imaginative play that appears to be innocent.
( yes, I'm realizing now, it may not have been all that innocent.)
Maybe it's because of those
big brown eyes and long lashes.
Maybe, yes, just maybe it's because
he always knows the right thing to say
and says it in the sweetest,
tenderest possible way.
Whoever marries this guy,
is a very lucky girl.
Example:
Keep in mind this example,
is from the same week,
if not the same hour,
as the cumin army men.
me: "Hey, Mandi. Can you come here?"
Mandi walks into the kitchen.
Justin comes in a few seconds behind her.
Justin: As he takes Mandi's hand,
"Did mom just say 'hey' Mandi?"
Mandi: "ya"
Justin: "Oh, well she should have said,
Hey BEAUTIFUL."
Hmmm...YES!
I'd say it's because he always knows
what to say.
This kid is good.
So,SO good!

10 comments:

Amber said...

Such a sweet comment and face is worth a LOT of spice!

That is a TON of cumin!!!!!!! He's adorable.

Christina said...

How adorable. He is such a cutie. I have so much to look forward to with my little guy I can see. :)

Monica said...

Watch out when he is a teenager is all I have to say...ha ha! Very creative I must add! And yes that face is adorable...I have a pretty adorable face here also that says Aunt Monica can you help me...How can I resist! Love you

amber buhrley said...

And why did he have to pick Cumin of all spices? Of course the one that smells like a dirty russians armpits! Every time I cook with it that is what I think of! I bet your newly cleaned kitchen must have smelled amazing.

kristen said...

so hilarious! of course he chose the spice with the very best color. you know a giant would totally eat that! he's so darling, and i love how you describe things. i was so bummed to have barely missed you. i went to az on a whim, just days after you left. maybe next time we'll be there at the same time :)

marilyn said...

He is so adorable, and he did have great intentions how can you question that. Jolyn you are a great mom you enjoy the moment, which is a great blessing because many moms can only look back and say that was a great time and it is all of a sudden gone. He sure does know what to say, where did he learn that! Love you

Jill Heaps said...

He is a little con man (a good con man of course!) I just love to see him when he is up to something because it's written ALL over his face! How can you not love a boy who tells you all the right things? he is G O O D!!! :)
At least you are so patient, I lose it with Emily when she gets creative like that... I need to take your example! Love You!

Meg said...

I absoluetely LOVE THIS!! That picture is sooo cute, I remember it and I love it! I want to kiss that face! I hope I can find a cutie like that!

Love you!

Wendy Buhrley said...

Oh my! This is too funny! What a rascal :) Good thing he is so stinkin' adorable! How can you even get mad? We miss you all! Can you just send him and Gracie over to play today? I'll lock the spice cupboard ;)
Love you XOXOX

wendy said...

wow, fun times! Good thing he is so sweet and adorable!