Sunday, November 23, 2008

Jolyn vs Deer!

(yes, that is fur.)

I often see deer while ON my early morning runs in the foothills, but I have never seen a deer while DRIVING home!! That is..... until this last Thursday. On Eagle road of all places, with early morning traffic all going 55mpr. Luckily, I slowed down a bit because I saw a couple of deer crossing the road 100 yards in front of me. At that exact moment another deer hit me. It all happened so quickly. I won't give you all the yummy details.....let's just say I saw actual body parts flying in front of me.
I refused to get out of the car in fear of what may still be attached. When Lou and the kids came into the garage as I pulled in I saw jaws drop and Mitch ask,"Why is there fur on your car?" I stayed IN the car.
After carpooling kids around, and I COULDN'T find an open car wash,(other then the self serve kind...NO thanks!) I was brave....I got out of my car.

Gracie just could not believe what I had done. "Mom, WHY did you do that?! I really,really like deer!" She wanted to know if it was a baby deer, I assured her it was not! However, that did not make her feel any better. "Was it a mommy? Oh, the mommy will miss her babies. The babies will be looking for the mommy!!" "I am sure it was a daddy deer," I told her. "Oh, no...Oh, no! The mommy will really,really miss him!" I couldn't win. Justin did his best to try and ease her pain by telling her, "Don't worry Gracie, deer are really just for eating." (what? where did he hear that? We don't even hunt!) That did NOT help her. Justin gave me a look that said, "Sorry mom, I tried! What are we going to do with her?"

She did perk up as we were going to get the rental car......in hopes that we just might get a PINK car! Justin said he just wanted a car that didn't STINK. Apparently, he has been in a lot of stinky cars?? Justin got his wish, Gracie did
not.
Justin is very excited for his "Snack and Share" day at school tomorrow! " I'm not going to bring in a share mom, I'm just going to talk." "Oh, what are you going to talk about?" I asked. "You hitting a deer!" He got even more excited when I told him he could bring in a picture of the car. "Can I bring in a picture of the deer?" "I don't have a picture of the deer," I told him! " Can we go take one right now, pleeeeease?" " I don't think so bud!" The picture of the car will just have to due!! Oh, how having toddlers in the home can make you smile in ANY situation!:)

The cost of my first deer=$5,000!

15 comments:

joslyn marie said...

This is so funny. Grandma told Golden and I about what Gracie said! That is too cute! I love that you are blogging! It's so much fun seeing what you guys are up to! love you!

Monica said...

I'm so sorry! That is always our fear! When we go to the cabin we are constantly on the look out for deer! When my mom and paul were driving up to the mountains a few years ago to look at cabins the realitor hit a bear! My mom still has nightmares about it!
I loved what Gracie and Justin said about it! That is so awesome you have that written down for them to read later! Hilarious!
Love ya! I'm just glad you are safe! Watch out for future deers, Wade is a little worried since you said your first deer. He said, "Is she planning on hitting a second one!" Ha Ha---isn't your brother so funny!

amber buhrley said...

too funny! Sorry about your car though...

Jill Heaps said...

Thanks for the laugh! I can just imagine YOU. I am surprised you didn't throw up all over the place! You'r kids are so funny. I seriously can't stop laughing!!!! I could have gotten you a dear for a lot cheaper than that--next time come to me first! I know you always like to go "first class"! Seriously though I am so glad you are OK. I can only imagine how scary that must have been for you. You had angels watching out for you for sure! love you Sis.

marilyn said...

We are so thankful that you are alright, you could have been seriously hurt, it scares me to death. You were certainly watched over, thank you thankyou, I said in my prayers. Your kids are so funny, you can't be sad for long with them around, I would like to see a picture of their faces, when you got home.

Amber said...

I'm glad you're safe! Justin and Gracie's comments always bring a smile. I can just imagine their faces as you describe their comments.

I hope your insurance helps with that 5,000 and I hope your neck is okay! That fur on the car is really gross.

Jolyn Buhrley said...

Our insurance is great! Seriously, the Geico commercials are for real! They are paying for everything(including the rental,) except for our deductable-$500. They were sooooo easy and helpful. Okay, there is my Geico endorsment!

The Grantham Family said...

This is seriously one of my greatest fears. So sorry that it happened to you, but a super funny story espeically from your kids point of view!

Also, LOVE the "PINK" car that Mandi & Lou made together. Too cute! She is a beauty Jolyn!!

Carol said...

See...I always knew that no good could come from getting up early and running for fun. :) :) :)

Meg said...

I haven't written my saddness for you hitting the deer because I told you in person. This is how my saddness goes...
1st place: I am sad that you hit a deer and had to be traumatized. Although happy it wasn't worse.
2nd place: I am sad that my FAVORITE van that I hoped to inherit from you one day was injured.. how I love that van.. STUPID Deer!
3rd place: I am sad that you killed Bambi's Mom and Justin didn't get to take a picture of it to school for all the other kids to be as trumatized as gracie.
And fourth place: I am sad that Gracie didn't get her pink car because she deserved it after all those sad thoughts went through her head!
And fifth place: I am sad that I can't make it to your house for Thanksgiving dinner... never heard of serving Deer for dinner in place of Turkey, but totally understand with the 5,000 car bill and a bad economy, it's all you can afford!! EAT UP Lynn and MArilyn!
LOVE YOU!

Lou said...

Hi Jolyn,
Both of us hitting a deer on the same day, at the same time, both of us driving vans but on opposite sides of the state. UNCANNY! Sounds like something out of the "Twilight Zone" (-not the book/movie but an old TV show about strange and unexplainable events-)
I'm glad that I didn't have to undergo the intense interrogation that you experienced with Gracie.
Some of my students asked if I tried to do CPR on the deer. I've never gone deer hunting before and I hope this is the last deer that I will bag.
Sure glad that it was only the cars that had to be repaired and not us.
Dad Buhrley

wendy said...

Look at you, you finally updated your blog! And you've been busy! You got addicted, didn't you? Well I've been out of the loop the past few weeks, so I really have some catching up to do. Good job, now I have to see what you've been up to!

justwhiting said...

This entry was so entertaining that I can't wait to see what you hit next.

Christina said...

Yikes! Glad you are okay! (BTW, this is your cousin Christy, Aunt LaNae's daughter!) Just wanted to say hi. Your family is stunning! It sounds like things are going well (minus the deer incident)!
Love you guys!
Christy

Jolyn Buhrley said...

Christy!
So good to hear from you! I would love to see what your family is up too! Invite me to your blog11:)