Friday, February 20, 2009

18 Years.......!!!!!

The Buhrley's est. February 15th, 1991

This past weekend Lou and I celebrated our 18th Wedding Anniversary!
We weren't planning on going out of town....
but Lou planned a quick AND fun trip to Seattle.
My friend,(sister) Meg, came and stayed with the kids so we were worry free-and enjoyed every minute of our time together. The first night, Lou took me to the Lion King. If you ever get a chance to see this Broadway production, it is well worth it! It was a fun surprise,
(although, anyone who knows Lou.....knows he has a really hard time keeping a secret!....so I found out the surprise a little early, like before we
left.:))

These pictures were taken while waiting for the production to start. If any of you have ever tried to take a picture of my husband.....you will know why I had to post these pictures. We did FINALLY get a picture with his eyes OPEN! Although ,we were laughing so hard I thought we might get kicked out of the theater. (and who knew you weren't suppose to be taking pictures?:))

It was a Beautiful Theater

This is where we stayed in downtown Seattle....another nice surprise!
AND,
it was actually a surprise!

It was wonderful to spend time with my brother Jer. We had great conversation and amazing hamburgers at a place Joel introduced us to. We were planning on taking Joel to lunch for his birthday...however, we ran out of cash...at a cash only restaurant !:)
Thanks for spotting us Joel!
We also spent the afternoon at Pikes Market.

The best place to people watch,
buy cinnamon almonds,
and have clam chowder-Lou's favorite.


I love this man.


He is my best friend. There is no one I would rather spend time with. I smile just thinking of him. He knows me, everything about me, AND he loves me. We can finish each other sentences, know what each other is thinking, and with a glance say everything. We have not lived a "Fairytale" marriage, it's been better, it's been something real.

"True love lasts forever. It is eternally patient and forgiving.
It believes, hopes, and endures all things."
Joseph B Wirthilin

I have found my Prince Charming. I have found my True Love.
I have often heard the saying,
" I thought I knew what love was."
When I married, I thought I knew what love was.
However, I love my husband more today then I ever thought possible.
My heart starts beating a little faster just thinking of what I will feel in another 18 years.

It is not the amazing vacations or gifts that make a marriage. Those fun and romantic moments are.....fun and romantic, but not what make a "real" marriage, a marriage of real love and depth. It's everyday life, the ups and downs, the failures and success, the good days and not so good days. It's doing all of this together. It's growing together towards the same goal. Knowing we have complete faith in each other
and our ability to make it...together.

I am grateful to whom I am sharing this journey of life with.
I am grateful for the opportunity to fall in love over and over again,
always with the same person.

14 comments:

Meg said...

I am so glad I got to be part of this chance for you to get away!! I had a BLAST with the kids and have had SOOO much fun with you while you have been back! I love how the pictures show how much you really are happy with eachother and you are just glowing...I am SOOOO jealous you got to go to Lion King!! And your black and white outfit is SIMPLY adorable! Happy 18 YEARS!! My Mom loved how cute were were on your wedding invite.. she still has it after ALL these years! hahhaha
LOVE YOUR GUTS!!

Crysty said...

Happy Anniversary! You are an awesome couple! And here's to 18 more love-filled years!

The Buhrley Bunch said...

I'm so happy that you guys got such a fun getaway! What a great opportunity. You also wrote such a beautiful tribute to Lou and your marriage. He's a lucky husband to have you. Happy 18 years!! P.S. For what it's worth, I got scolded for taking pictures BEFORE the Lion King also. Like the insided of a theater is top secret or something. Whatever!

Jill Heaps said...

Happy 18th Anniversary! You both look so amazing...are you sure you weren't shooting the cover of a magazine? You have such a beautiful way of expressing your feelings...thank you for sharing! How fun to see Jer and Joel...I couldn't help but laugh that Joel had to pay for his own B-day lunch ha ha ha! Love you---thanks for being such a wonderful sister and brother in law

Anna B. said...

Happy 18th Anniversary! It is such a gift to love someone and a bigger gift when they adore you...just like Lou adores you. It shows and I am so happy for you :-)

marilyn said...

What an awesome couple, what great pictures, Jeremy said you and Lou had a glow about you and he is right your love shows and it is beautiful, what a beautiful tribute Jolyn you gave to Lou, you are so amazaing at expressing yourself, no poet ever did that good of a job, it was from your heart, you two are absolutely beautiful I know Lou doesn't like to be called cute but he is adorable is that a better word Lou? Thanks for being such a great husband to jolyn and a great father to our precious grandchildren. And Jolyn thanks for being a wonderful daughter, mother and sister and Aunt and etc etc etc We love you both and can't wait to see all of you this weekend at Mac state tournament.

amber buhrley said...

Sounds like a great weekend! Glad you got to getaway. I am actually sitting in a hotel in santa barbara on our weekend away. The unfortunate thing, I forgot the camera bag. Matt should know better then to leave any type of responsibility on me when I am pregnant. So I blame him. I will have to come up with something clever for a post.

Carol said...

Happy Anniversary!
Now if I may, I want to brag about your husband for just a minute. Our baby threw up last night at the Blue and Gold Banquet...hotdogs...all over...right during Michael's Webelos award presentation. Anyway, we were trying to help Philip and still be present for Michael since we were up in front of everyone and Lou just jumped right in and started cleaning up all of the vomit. I mean, he was really in there and Matt and I both commented afterward that there aren't very many people who would willingly jump into a situation like that. It meant a lot to me and I am glad that he was so willing to help, even if it was gross. So thanks again Lou, for your kindness, and Happy Anniversary to you both!!!

Mindy said...

Oh my gosh you guys are so cute!! How old were you when you got married, 12? Because you certainly don't look old enough to have been married 18 years and you are just babies in your wedding picture! It's so cute.

I love your quotes on love. It's true - it's better than a fairy tale because it's REAL. I love that!!

Congrats again!

Amber said...

I love everything you wrote. You are so right! I love these pictures of you and Lou. They are really good. I agree with Meg, that black and white outfit is really adorable. Happy Anniversary! You and Lou are a great example of marriage and family.

wendy said...

congratulations! true love...ahh

Jeremy Whiting said...

It WAS so great seeing you in my town! I hope you come again, next time we will go somewhere really expensive that takes credit cards, haha. Just having you in our home was a complete treat for us, sorry Molly didn't appreciate it like she should, she doesn't appreciate anything she can't eat or pee on.

Oh yeah, Happy Anniversary!

Meg said...

Hey sweet thing! For the GNO pix right click on the actual pictures and it should pull down a menu.. click on save as and then name it.. then you should be able to do a regular post.. I have a fe more pics on facebook as well.. loves and MISS YOU LIKE CRAZY!

Christina said...

Wow! Time flies. I saw the picture with Jer and before I read the actual post below the pic, I thought, "Geez, Lou looks A LOT like Jeremy!!!" Turns out, it was Jer and I'm just a dork!

I LOVE the last picture of you guys! Eyes open and everything!!!!! Glad you guys had a good time!