Monday, January 26, 2009

Mandi turns 12!!!!!!


Happy Birthday Mandi!!

This birthday "shout out" is a little late..... Dec. 27th is Mandi's birthday. However, it took me that long to learn the art of scanning pictures!
( considering a few months ago I barely knew how to turn on a computer.....not soooo bad.) :)
12 things to love about my 12 year old:
(it was very hard keeping it to only 12)

~her dry sense of humor.
~her adaptability
~her sense of calmness
~her creativity
~her love of a good read
~her dependability
~her desire to do the right thing.
~her "I can try" attitude.
~her ability to enjoy the moment.
~her positive outlook
~her ability to "quickly turn that frown away, and smile all the day."-(personal favorite of mom's)
~her love of family

Mandi had us wrapped around her finger from the moment she was born.
from her scrunched up nose when she smiled, to her spunky personality-
our lives would never be the same.
Mandi has always loved the "girly" things....
however, she could-and CAN always hold her own with the boys!
She would usually be found with Mckay in a ballerina outfit, holding a gun.
Have I already mentioned the word"spunky"to describe her as a toddler?!!!! (and as a 12 year old!)
A great insight to Mandi's personality, and the way she looks at life, is the story of one of her very first skiing trips. Mandi was around 5 and had only been skiing a few times. She decided to go with mom to the top....( my kids have since learned better.) Soon after we started down the hill, we found ourselves lost-( i know , i don't even want to hear it-big surprise!) and looking down the mountain at a very steep black diamond run.

I tried not to show my panic as Mandi said, "Mom, this is the scariest thing in my whole life." " I know hon, don't worry I will find us a way down!??" I looked each direction wondering how in the world I was going to get us down. I turned to comfort Mandi.....just in time to see her heading straight down the mountain. She didn't wait for my lead!! She had decided to face head on "the scariest thing in her whole life." ........(and mom had to follow! )

I have since come to know that this would just be one of many times Mandi would show me the way. Her personal strength and loving heart bless all that know her.

Happy Birthday Mands, we celebrate you!

9 comments:

Monica said...

Happy Birthday Mandi!!! What fun pictures that really show her personality! I can't believe how much she looks like Lou---you can really see it in the pictures!

JoLyn, I am so proud of you figuring out the computer! Wahoo!!! I wish you lived by us Mandi could be my little Beehive!!! I love that age it is truly one of my favorites! Enjoy every minute!!

The Buhrley Bunch said...

What a great tribute to Mandi! The pictures are priceless. Her smile is truly contagious as I found myself grinning as I was looking through them. She has a sparkle about her.

I do remember her grandma Buhrley telling me at a family party what a character Mandi was (Mandi was little, probably about two at the time). You could tell that she had Grandma Joan just wrapped around her finger. She was beaming as she was telling me Mandi stories. I wish we could have lived closer to each other!

joslyn marie said...

This is so neat! It was so much fun looking back! She was the cutest and still is!! I think If I remember clearly.. lauris and I were following you guys down the BLACK diamond mtn too! Happy Birthday Mandi Girl ! We love youuuu!

Jolyn Buhrley said...

Jos! I am so glad you remembered! I think you're right! It must have been when we were skiing in Utah-(when Jake was baptised?!!) That would have been 6 years ago-making Mandi 6,or almost 6, and you and Lauris 12 and 14!? I can totally remember it now-you all were so brave, and I ...just pretended to be! Fun memories! We love you!!

Amber said...

What a great tribute! I have always loved having Mandi over at our house. She always brings a smile, spunky fun and willingness to help. I'll never forget the week she memorized a gazillion poems for our poetry tea party. I love how she loves to read and learn. It is contagious and inspiring! Thanks for being so awesome, Mandi! Love you and Happy Birthday!!! Beehives are great!! Girls camp, watch out!

amber buhrley said...

Yes, Jolyn...I agree with everything you said about mandi. She is such a cutie! Looking at those pictures of her when she was little seems like a totally different person I know. She sure has grown up fast! Happy Belated Birthday Mandi!!

marilyn said...

Happy Birthday Mandi, what a awesome girl, I know it was hard for your mom to only list 12 things, you are such a joy to be around, you have always been full of life and ready for a party and always so willing to help and don't wait to be asked, and great in socker too" I love that you love to read in your room that is so you. I love how great you are with Justin and Graci, I don't know what your mom would do without your great help, I love how sweet you are to your grandparents, you actually like to be with us and we love that, and you are beautiful and growing into such an outstanding young adult, its almost scary, I don't think any of us are ready for you to grow up so fast. It fun to go to froyo with you, you never turn me down. Love you and Jolyn I can't believe how great you do on your blog, you are an amazing learner, it wasn't long ago and you couldn't blog now you are amazing, you leave your mom in the dust. Great job and what great history for Mandi to have all her life, I remember what a fun baby she was and she liked getting into things and Jac like to remind her what was right and wrong kinda like her mom did to you, priceless!!!!

THE BESSE BUNCH said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MANDI!!! I LOVE ALL THOSE PICTURES, THEY ARE SP DANG CUTE!!! I LOVE ALL THE COLLAGES!!!

Meg said...

Mandz,

Those pictures bring back SOOO many memories.. and don't you worry... I know I am VERY behind in my tributes, before the end of this month.. you will see my tribute to you on my blog.. cause sweet girl, I celebrate your birth! LOve you! I am excited to come be with your fam for a bit! We must go to that scone hole in the wall place I told you about... we can have some laughs!