Tuesday, April 7, 2009

GRAND Targhee.....traditions, chpt2!!!

This is the view we enjoy every Spring Break.
You really are just taken back
with gratitude for the beauty around you.
Grandma and Grandpa Buhrley!
Living only 1 1/2 hours away from Targhee,
we have been lucky to have mom and dad B
a favorite part of our trip each year.
We will never forget last year -when dad
got "caught"for playing hooky from school!
He left his students at BYU Idaho,
and headed up the mountain to join us--
Only to get caught in a storm,
AND
interviewed by the local news station!
I think every student and fellow colleague
saw Brother Buhrley on the news that night.
He was so busted.
It's a good thing he finally made it up the mountain.
If you are going to play hooky,
at least make it a good day!
A new and wonderful tradition......
all seven of us on the slopes!
Lou has always done a great job teaching the kids to ski.
This year we also got our money's worth-
from the ski school!
Justin and Gracie loved the "little deers" school....and Lou and I-
loved being able to ski all day!


The traditional....
"take a picture on the lift" photo! It's a must.
(side note--every time I saw Justin in this helmet, I really had to resist the urge to kiss those cheeks!)

New tradition.....5 Buhrley's snowboarding!
I have now crossed the line.
They made it look so easy!!?
Wish we had more pictures of the kids in action!
I was to busy trying not to fall, and Lou--
was busy videoing 360's.
(Mckay's not mine.)
Off go the boots--On go the swimsuits!!

"I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU!"
This tradition has taken on a world of it's own.
These pictures show nothing of the insanity of Lou's children.
I really feel sorry-
for whoever is in the hot tub with them!
Somehow ??
they always talk a few innocent vacationers,
into joining them for this little game.
They have NO idea
what they have gotten themselves into!
Round one...roll your entire body around in the snow 13 times--
then walk upstairs and around the building 3 times,(barefoot of course.)
The stakes get higher as the game goes on.
Wanna play?!


The reward......a jump in the pool!
They have to adjust to the pool water before their
FREEZING skin can tolerate the HOT tub!
It really doesn't take much to entertain us......
the pain and suffering of others=
tons of fun and laughter.

Even little Gracie got in the action!
This girl could outlast ALL of us in the hot tub.

One of my personal favorites

a 5 o'clock run after the lifts close.
This year I had running partners!
I thought I would have the edge on all these "non-runners".
Ha, Mac left me in his dust,
and I was barely ahead of the old guys!:)
Mandi joined us the last day and also made me feel really old!
Lungs and legs burning, beautiful scenery,
the drive to catch up to my kids,
( or at least keep a step ahead of the old guys)
Does it get better then this?

Maybe a little.

9 comments:

Monica said...

What a fun vacation!!! I love all the pictures, especially all the ones with the kids faces trying to brave out the cold!!! So fun!
My favorite thing to do as a family is to be on the slopes together! That is so wonderful that this year you could all be together!
Someday we should plan a skiing trip together! Grand Targee looks like a beautiful place!

amber buhrley said...

Wow! Sounds like a really really fun trip! Great pictures. Made me realize we really did miss out! Maybe next year? Or the year after when we are done with school...finally!

marilyn said...

I can't believe Justin and Gracie sking amazing, you will never find me playing the dare game, your kids are crazy! The pictures are so fun and sooooo cute of everyone, w.ouldn't Grand Targee want to use these pictures for advertisment! They would probably triple their aount of skiers. Their expressions tell it all they are quite the actors. Can't wait to see you. love you

Meg said...

WOW!!! I thought the last ones were incredible!! These are right up there too?!

Man, I love seeing all the fun you all have as a fam!
Love and MISS YOU!

Jill Heaps said...

OK you have officially made all of us very jealous of the Buhrleys! I am very happy for you...so I am not coveting! ha ha! What a total blast to have such wonderful memories, and such wonderful pictures to capture it all! I am so glad you shared it with all of us. Love you

Amber said...

Where do I start??? Every shot needs a comment!! Gracie and Justin's faces are just precious. Mandy and Mitch's expressions playing the hot tub game say it all...although I think I'm a wimp and would want to cheer everyone ELSE on! I can't believe Gracie did it!

What great family memories with pictures to capture the whole wonderful moment.I'm so impressed with your snowboarding! That seems so much more difficult than skiing. What did you think? What is your preference?

Monica said...

I noticed you used my posted saying off my blog of Sister Hinkley's quote! That is one of my favorites of Sister Hinkley's along with many others of hers. I think that is why I love the gift of laughter so much because I can still here her cute laugh! It makes me smile just thinking of her laugh! I love her so much she is truly my role model! I

wendy said...

wow, that suonds like a perfect vacation! Your familys is so dang cute!

wendy said...

Jolyn, thank you so much for your comment to my 'motherhood' post. You are so sweet and I am hugging you right back! Love you too!