Monday, April 27, 2009

Chocolate Chip soup


My niece, who has had a particularly challenging last few months...
has said that children have helped to heal her heart.

Children give perspective.
Children give love.
Children want love.
Children are a gift.

It is no wonder our Savior has said,
"....Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3-4

Not a day goes by
that I don't feel gratitude for the opportunity to be a mother.
This is not to say it is easy! It is the hardest thing I have, and will ever do.
Which makes it such a blessing in my life.
As I often (jokingly, but.. with some truth!) tell my kids,
"What doesn't kill you--will make you stronger!"
Being a mother is making me stronger.
The daily lessons I learn from being a mother
are helping me to reach my full potential,
to become the person I am suppose to be.
It is a process, two steps forward, one step back.
Not perfection, but progress nonetheless.
And gratefully, kids are resilient and forgiving.
Justin has told me-
"mom, I will always love you,even when you are mad."

I guess, I am just wanting to express my gratitude for joy.
The small and precious, daily moments of joy
that help soften the days ups and downs.

They give you perspective,
help you stop for a moment,
And feel-- really feel, the treasure that life is,
and the joy that comes from loving.

One reason I have enjoyed blogging,
is it helps me recognize the moments that make life so meaningful.
Those small, usually simple everyday moments
that will one day make up a lifetime of happy memories.
Sometimes "life" can get so busy that we miss them!
And yet they are always there if we take the time to see them.
The pictures below show one such moment.
So glad I didn't miss it.
I was enjoying a long hot shower
when 2 very excited toddlers
came running into my bathroom.
"Mom, mom, we have a surprise for you.
You're not going to believe this...
WE made DINNER for you!"
I tried to hide my fear, remember-
I had taken a long shower.
" When is everyone getting home? We have the table all set!"
It is only 9 a.m.
I am terrified to enter the kitchen.
"Close your eyes!"
I am definitely closing my eyes.
Holding my hands they proudly guide me to the table,
and to their amazing creation of Chocolate Chip Soup!
They did have the table set for 7 and had already dished some up for me to taste.
I was both stunned and relieved.
Stunned at the amount of water and dishes
that covered the kitchen in their preparation of dinner,
but also relieved,
it could have,(and has been!) sooooo much worse!
Because we wanted to eat the soup "while it was good",
we decided not to wait for the rest of the family.
We enjoyed fun conversation over an early dinner
of Chocolate Chip Soup.
And then...
went and got dressed for the day.

10 comments:

Jill Heaps said...

You know how to put your thoughts so beautifully! Thanks for the reminder...I need it! I find it so easy to get caught up in my "to do's" as my family calls them. Thank you for being such a wonderful example! I love you

The Buhrley Bunch said...

What a PRICELESS story!! I want some chocolate chip soup too! Thank you so much for putting your feelings to words. You have such a talent for expressing yourself and the beautiful way you see life. It's always nice for me to be reminded of these treasures and blessings we have. I'm so glad you and Amber started your blogs. It encouraged me to begin mine and it has been such a treat to write down the simple goings-on in my family and to be reminded of my blessings on a more regular basis. What fun.

Jolyn Buhrley said...

Jilly-
Confession!!! Mandi told me a few days ago what she thought my most said phrase of the day is..."This room is such a mess!" I said, really? When do I say that?" "everytime you enter a room!" OUCH! She said it with a smile on her face and she WAS trying to get out of chores....but it deffinitely made me stop and think! I don't want that to be the memory my children have of their time with me! Sometimes what is in my heart-doesn't come across in my words-- as I get caught up in my to do's!

Joslyn was also my motivation for this post, what an example of seeing the love around her.

Monica said...

So adorable! I love their proud faces! That is our goal to teach them to be self reliant and independant adults some day---looks like you are accomplishing that! Motherhood is the best and I do believe children are so healing! I have seen what a blessing it is in Joslyn's life being surrounded by children! Darling post!

Amber said...

This needs to be published in a book, pictures and all. This post is a treasure. Kids are healing. I heard a devotional recently about the love of God- charity,having the power to chase away fear/anxiety. Pondering how to be filled more with this love, I noticed when sitting in primary as a sub that loving children and being around them is a powerful way to capture charity more often in my heart. They are our gift and our door to wisdom. Thanks for sharing!

wendy said...

I love it! I just might have to steal that quote for my blog. You make it look so easy, and I just love cathcing up w/you guys! I too, often think of how my kids will remember me...sometimes it scares me but I just have to remember that every day is a new day. I just have to keep tellimg myself that and it will be okay!

marilyn said...

What a blessing to see your daughter all my daughters and daughter in law being such awesome mothers, nothing could bring this mom more happiness, enjoying the moment and not waiting for years later and looking back and then saying what a wonderful time, this time is so short, and children are miracles and nobody can be sad when they have children around they are so precious. You are truly gifted at writing your thoughts down, you should write a book because it would be a best seller. Love you

Kristen said...

Jolyn,
This is beautifully written. It is so true that children are healers of the heart. I have through many trials relied upon the joy my children bringa to keep me going. One night, I was crying myself to sleep and my teenager came in. He asked if there was anything he could do and after a hug, he followed up with sitting at the end of my bed and playing soft melodies on his acoustic guitar till I fell asleep.

Children are the greatest blessings! You are a wise woman to seek out and cherish the daily miracles they provide us.

Just a side note...my word verification word is a cheerful one. It is ..."singisms".

Much love,
Kristen

{ mr and mrs jp } said...

aw!! this is SO cute! I LOVE you! Are you coming to utah in june july or august? I wanna see you guys! Chocolate chip soup sounds yummy.. i wanna try some:) Love you guys!!

{ mr and mrs jp } said...

aw. . you're so cute that i was your motivation. i have the best aunts in the WHOLE WORLD:)