Monday, July 13, 2009

Rock-n-Rollin Seattle!

The last weekend in June was spent
Rockin-n-Rollin in Seattle! Well, perhaps more rolling then rocking...
or should I say crawling!?
I ran the Seattle Rock-n-Roll Marathon
with some of my best friends!
Although, 2 of the running sisters couldn't make the trip.
They let things like school and kids come in between us!:)
(we missed you Emily and Lori!)
I think after this weekend Bret-
Kristi's husband, is officially one of us.
Even though he is actually a "biker"
(or should I say "cyclist"?)
He humors us and joins us for a marathon
without even training!
We have always wanted to do a rock-n-roll marathon
where there is a live band every mile.
Having my brother Jeremy in Seattle made this the perfect location!
This is Jer- our personal "chauffeur"!
He took us to and from the race, which meant he had to wake up @ 4:30 a.m.!
As I was already feeling pain in my leg...
(yes, mom I WILL see a doctor and find out what is wrong-and NO running the marathon did NOT make it worse!:))
It was really tempting to skip the 26.2 miles
of a hilly course and stay in the car!
Some brother/sister bonding time
was looking really,really good.
I did get out of the car...
and the above picture was taken minutes before the race.
the picture below...
minutes AFTER the finish!
Something about completing a marathon, brings your emotions to the surface.
It's quite the amazing-and a little insane- experience.
Crossing the finish line you see many tears
and excited friends and family members
cheering and hugging the exhausted runners.
As I started into the crowd feeling a little lonely-
I suddenly saw Jeremy!
How did he manage to find me?
Minutes after my finish?
There were 28,000 runners+spectators+volunteers,
finding someone is next to impossible!
I was so happy to see him.
I love this guy!
It made the entire weekend
to be able to spend so much time with Jer.
He took such good care of us
and it is always fun to have
friends you love meet family you love.

The running sisters
Jolyn, DaNel, Lori, Emily, and Kristi
I feel so lucky to have such good friends.
Meet them and you will see why I get up
in the wee hours of the morning.
For a run?
YES!
But these ladies make it so much more.
We are able to solve our days problems in an hour run-
and the entire worlds problems in a 20 miler.
These great women are so uplifting and have saved me
many $$$$$ in therapy sessions!
I feel lucky to have experiences like these.
Grateful for a supportive husband
who encourages me to
GO FOR IT!
Anyone up for the Newport, Oregon Marathon next June?
It is a beautiful and flat course that I plan on being 100% injury free to enjoy!

10 comments:

{ mr and mrs jp } said...

i miss you guys!! i love you so much! i cant wait til you get here!:)

The Buhrley Bunch said...

You marathoners are all a little bit nuts. Holy Cow! Great job, and it sounds like fun too. Jolyn, how do you still look glamorous after running 26.2 miles? The magic must be in that great smile of yours. Congrats!!

Meg said...

I think you are one amazing woman without even running a marathon... but after you have ran handfuls of marathons.. I can't even tell you how much I respect you! I wish had an hour with you a day.. but a runner I am NOT!
Love you

{ mr and mrs jp } said...

no.. she didnt use photoshop. . she has a way good camera! i love you.. k ya!! mandi could totally come home with me !! :) perfecttttt! cant wait!

marilyn said...

How fun, but I am waiting to hear what the doctor says about you I love you tooooo much to have you take any chances. I love the pictures I'm soooo glad you got to have so much fun with Jer, and to see your great friends. Love you can't wait to see you

Jeremy Whiting said...

It was such utter pleasure having you in the emerald city! I love getting up at 4:30 anyway, I have turned into Dad. I loved that Brett said he could have picked me out of a crowd as your brother, totally flattering as I have such a beautiful sister even after 26.2 miles (and five kids...)

Amber said...

You are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amber buhrley said...

Congrats! Sounds fun! I actually would really love to make the June oregon marathon my next goal but not quite sure if it is possible with having a baby in October and not even running for almost 7months? Hmmmmm, maybe a little coercing might do the trick or maybe the next year when I am actually living there? Maybe I should start with a half first!

Jill Heaps said...

You ROCK GIRL!!! I am so proud of you. What a fun time with Jer on top of it. I just wish we could join together for our runs each morning. Just think of what we could solve!?

Carol said...

Congratulations!!! You are amazing!
I have just started running (last month) for the first time in my life and today I did 6 miles. Woohoo! I am hoping to do a half marathon this fall, but I am not sure if my bones will ever let me do a full one...only time will tell.
BTW, I am so glad to see that DaNel is back to running again. I am sure she missed it during her injury.