Friday, December 5, 2008

My friend never has to go home.......

Justin and I were talking about how some families only have one child. This seemed to bother him, and then he replied, "That's so sad! When they are playing with a friend and it's time to go home, they won't have a friend anymore! My friend NEVER has to go home!"

Words can not describe the joy these two best friends have brought into our home. We couldn't imagine our family complete without them. Daily we watch them play,create,discover,(and make messes:) for hours on end ,and think," is this for real?" Toddlers have such a way of bringing the spirit into the home! Even on the craziest, grumpiest kind of day their smiles,hugs,and unconditional love melt you and bring a smile. They remind us of the best things in life,
Living,loving,and forgiving

It's not uncommon when one child is put on "bench time", for the other child to come and sit by them, or be the first to let me know when the timer has gone off, and bench time is through. Their love and compassion for each other brings forgiveness without hesitation. :) (Sometimes it may take 2 minutes.) It is never worth staying mad if they could be playing and having fun!!

Today Justin was teasing Gracie, (yes he is a tease!!!) Gracie was upset! I said,"Justin, don't be a bugger!! "Gracie immediately jumped in saying," Justin is not a bugger mom, be nice!" (Forget that Justin was running around the house hiding her baby!)......Don't you dare call her brother a bugger! At this, Justin stopped teasing and looked at her and me. I said with smile, "Wow, Justin your sister sure loves you! You are being a stinker and she wants me to be nice to YOU!" He smiled,went over to give her a big hug AND her baby. "Gracie your baby is so cute, want to go play?"

You know when one of them is mad.....because you will hear the worst possible thing they can think of saying to each other..........."I won't sleep in your bed!"

I'm not sure what they will do next year when Justin heads off to Kindergarten without her! I'm sure I will hear daily joyous reunions when he comes home. One of the sweetest sounds I hear each morning is them saying "Good morning!" to each other with such love you would think they hadn't seen each other in a week!

What also warms my heart, is the knowledge that these two learned how to love by all the love they have seen and felt. They have been blessed with siblings that love each other.

At the end of the cRaZy schedules, and the "not so perfect "and sweet days, this is all that matters.

11 comments:

marilyn said...

This is so precious, I loved seeing the pictures and reading about those precious angels, after just being there to see them, I can totatly relate, you can't take your eyes off of them they are so amazing to watch, they have so much love for each other and also for Mandy, Mitch and Mckay. You can't be sad they make you realize what is really important. I'm amaazed at what great writers my children are, you could all write books that would be best sellers, thanks thanks thanks, I love love reading your blogs. My reward of being a mom is seeing what great parents my kids are. I love you all so so much. love you mom

joslyn marie said...

Oh my gosh! I have the cutest cousins EVER. I have never seen cuter friends! It almost made me cry! Love you guys.

Christina said...

That is so sweet! You are so lucky! That makes me want another one for Savannah! (almost) :) Someday! You have such a beautiful family and they have definitely learned well! Good job!

Monica said...

I love this post! You can see the love that they have for each other! I can definitely relate, there is nothing that brings more joy than family relationships. I love siblings that are best friends! I have felt so blessed that my children are truly best friends and pick to be with each other over being with friends, because that is the relationship that is eternal! You are an amazing mother! Thanks for sharing! I could totally relate to the story of Justin telling you to be nice. Whenever I try to discipline a child in front of another they ALWAYS stick up for the other one and I'm the one wrong! Secretly I love it because it shows that they have MERCY and COMPASSION for their sibling! I have been ganged up on thousands of times and wouldn't trade it! Love ya!

Amber said...

This is the most precious and touching post EVER. Well, at least other posts can't surpass. Thanks for making my day. What a blessing! It doesn't get better than that.

Jeremy Whiting said...

Are you trying to kill me? I think I overdosed on cuteness. What a wonderful way to keel over on a Saturday. I miss those little "buggers"! Proud to be part of your family.

Jill Heaps said...

Jolyn, you put that PERFECTLY! I love how you are able to capture such an amazing relationship. It is one they will always cherish!!! You have such beautiful children...we miss you all so much! I can't wait for your kids to be able to stay at our house again. We love you!--AWESOME pictures

Meg said...

Oh... I need some Boise time.. Have you found me a husband yet?! I miss those two!! Ok I miss all 7 of you!! :) You couldn't have summed up their relationship better!! Oh my heart is homesick for my Boise family... Soon... soon.. I keep telling myself! Love you!
Gun

justwhiting said...

precious!

wendy said...

that is just the sweetest thing I ever did read. Joni you are an amazing person and mother.

Kristen said...

Jolyn, this is so comforting to read. How can we worry about the future when we know that in homes all over the world are families where there is love like this.

Your children are sweet and loving, and these young friendships will serve them throughout their lives!

You have a wonderful family! You are a great mom!